Anita and Joost

Thursday, November 16, 2006

South Africa

A good friend of us, Willem, send us an article written by Rory Carroll, a journalist for the Guardian. In his article How I never quite fell for South Africa, he is quite negative.

3 Years ago I would not have agreed with him at all, only on the

"<..> there is much to love. This is a complex, beautiful, extraordinary country. The people are among the warmest I have encountered anywhere, smiles as wide as they are genuine. From the ashes of apartheid here is a stable, peaceful democracy with a surging economy. It is a beacon for the continent, drawing millions of migrants. I am optimistic about its future".

Nowadays I do understand more about the problems he's talking about. We experienced some of these problems quite intensively and I do even agree with him on some matters.

His article has a quite negative note and we definitely fell for South Africa. Still I really hope you will find the time to read his article (click here) and you will share your thoughts about it. Joost

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In our opinion R.Carroll gives a true description of the situation in South Africa. Despite all negative points, he still remains optimistic about the future for this country. And we hope (and believe) that he is right about that.
Then, why no love?
Perhaps he expected too much?
Perhaps he expected some kind of society with full integration between black, coloured en white people? Instead he found a country where the fences between different groups of people are still high.
Perhaps he could not accept the fact that this country belongs to black people? And black people, because of their history and culture, react in a different way on the problems in their country.
Perhaps he was shocked by his own reactions on crime?
On occasion he lost his heart but he did not fall in love.
Who said you have to fall in love with the country you lived in for a few years?

5:54 PM, November 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home