FIRST AND EIGHT IRONMAN!!
On the morning of the 18th of March 2007 it was finally going to happen: Joost would do his 8th and I would do my 1st Ironman! We said ‘goodbye’ on the beach just before the start; one of the differences between a 1st timer and an ’old timer’: the start position. I chose a ‘safe’ position at the back to prevent that too many athletes would swim over me and Joost is already so brave that he chose a position almost at the front. The strange thing was that I was not really nervous. This moment had gone through my mind many times causing the shivers, but that morning I was as calm as the sea was the days before. After a prayer by Port Elizabeth’s mayor and beautiful music the start shot went off and I walked into the sea. First I thought it was only the 1300 athletes around me, but soon I realized that the sea was wilder than it seemed to be. The waves were coming from everywhere and I could not really get into a swim rhythm. I was very happy to get out of the water after 1 hour and 38 minutes, besides the wild waves, I also got pretty cold during the second lap with a water temperature of 18 degrees (too much spoiled by South Africa’s generally warm temperatures…).
Some sweet volunteers helped me out of my wetsuit and into my bike gear and I ran to my bike in the transition zone. Once I got on my bike I saw and heard my parents and our friend Rob cheering me on and with a very positive feeling I started the bike ride. Fortunately I got warm soon and I could start enjoying the beautiful bike course. Just before I finished my first lap, we cycled 3 laps of 60 km, I was lapped by the first man who was cycling unbelievably fast! It did not disencourage me, soon after he passed me I saw a big Dutch flag with my parents behind it and I quickly shouted: ‘I am doing fine, I feel good!’ The second lap went well and remarks from other athletes like: ‘How are you?’ and ‘Nice bike!” kept me going. Seeing my parents for the second time meant I only had 1 more lap to go which was a great motivational thought! I started feeling my legs though and I focused on cycling in light gears to save my legs for the marathon.
Getting off the bike was a wonderful feeling! Especially because my father was standing close to my running bag and cheered me on! I quickly put on my running shoes while another sweet volunteer kindly put sunscreen on my shoulders (if only I had asked that before the cycling too…). The running felt good and after a few hundred meters I saw my mother among hundreds of other supporters. There were so many people cheering me on and motivating me; it was good that I could stick to my hart rate monitor otherwise I would have gone way too fast! Just after the first turning point I met Heleen, our friend who trained and stayed with us in Potchefstroom for 8 weeks, it was great to be in the race with her and with Joost of course! I met Joost a few kilometers later and he was looking strong, going into his last lap; the marathon consisted of 3 laps too. Just before the end of the last lap Heleen passed me and finished just after that in a great time of 9:58:25 as 5th lady!!! As I went on, I started feeling my legs more and more; muscle ache moving from the back of my legs to my calves, then to my upper legs, going away again, coming back etc. In the meantime Joost had finished in a very good 10:32:43 and I decided to keep on going so that he would not have to wait too long…:0). In the last lap it started getting dark and I got a glowing stick for safety reasons, but all the athletes wearing them rather created a cosy atmosphere. In the last 3 kilometers before the finish it started raining and I thought: ‘It’s really time to finish now!’. The last kilometer I almost flew simply because of the thought of almost walking across that finish line! As I reached the finish area and heard my name being called, I had goose bumps all over. Finally the speaker said: ‘You are an Ironman’ and with a big smile I stopped my watch after 13 hours and 32 minutes! It was a great feeling which I could share with Joost immediately who was waiting for me at the finish line.

6 Comments:
Hallo Anita
herzlichen Grlückwunsch zu Deinem ersten Ironman (es war eher Ironwoman denke ich, super!). Behalte euch wohl und bis bald in Braunschweig.
Sergio Ortiz
That's such a great story! Congratulations on your first, and congrats to Joost on your 8th! I still don't understand how it's possible to run a marathon after the swimming and biking beforehand. I hope to be able to cheer you on in person sometime in the future!
Wat een prestatie, echt super goed!! GEFELICITEERD!!!!
groetjes dana
Lieve Joost & Anita,
Wat een prachtige prestaties hebben jullie geleverd! Groot respect!!
Veel liefs,
Rieks & Hanneke
Great results for the both of you. You can both be proud. We are, most definitely.
Hallo Joost en Anita,
een geweldige prestatie en dan ook nog zo n mooie foto van jullie twee ... na de wedstrijd, met een glimlach alsof de wedstrijd nog moet beginnen.
Vond het heel fijn jullie onmoet te hebben.
Misschien tot binnenkort op Mallorca.
Groetjes Carmen en Michel,
michel@heijman-mallorca.com
Post a Comment
<< Home